Our Northwoods Must Experience List (in no particular order):
1. Two words.... Blink Bonnie's.. This little red shack doesn't look like much from the outside, but we promise, you will enjoy the best steak you've ever eaten in your lifetime there. The dinning area is pretty small so you're bound to have a some wait time, but we promise, its SO worth it. Any steak on the menu is fabulous.
2. Kathy's Ice Cream, St. Germain.. perfect for a little after dinner treat, or a mid-afternoon snack. They have a really cute store and a nice outdoor patio area where you can sit down and enjoy your scoops, and LOTS of flavors.
3. Boulder Junction/St. Germain Flea Markets.... I'm pretty sure the one in St. Germain falls on a Monday and possibly Tuesday for the Boulder Junction one. These are usually awesome places to pick up fresh produce. We usually go just for the fresh peaches, cherries, and assorted berries but there's so much more that it offers. Being the antique buff that I am, I can spend hours scouring booths along the wooden paths for anything that strikes my fancy. The flea market is a great place to find vintage fishing tackle and tavern memorabilia (neon signs, mirrors, etc..). At the one in Boulder Junction in past years, there has been a French pastry stand that offers some pretty darn good flaky, buttery, pastries.
4. Sayner Pub, Sayner, WI... There pizza is orgasmic. Its comes on a thin crust and their canadian bacon, mushroom, and onion (our fave) is to die for. The Pub special pizza is also good.. Its got pretty much everything on it. But... the crown jewel of the Sayner Pub, in our opinion is their cheese curds.. You will experience the ultimate in cheesy perfection. They are battered perfectly with a really thin batter that lets the cheese do the talking. Always fresh, always delicious. Every time Chris and I order cheese curds around our neck of the woods we always look at each other and say "Damn, I wish we were at the Pub."
5. Goofy golf, next to the 19th Hole in St. Germain.... Who doesn't love a good game of goofy golf?
6. Stillwaters, Star Lake, WI... Their Friday night all-you-can-eat fish fry is where its at. Get there early if you plan on going. Like most places up there, the dining area is fairly small but you can wait at the bar and the people who own it are really nice. If you want to miss the crowds, go on a Monday. Its kind of a local secret, but you won't have a wait at all. Anyways, back to the food.. the white fish is very lightly battered and compliments the fish well. You also get fries or potato pancakes (both really awesome) and family style macaroni and cheese. Also amazing, the Sicilian walleye.. ridiculously good.
7. Paul Bunyun's Cook Shanty, Minocqua, WI... Bring your appetite and don't plan on doing any strenuous activities immediately following. You will eat more than you expected or even knew was possible.
|sunset on Plum Lake|
I'm sure you noticed that most of our "must experience list" is food-related. Now, I'm not saying that we don't look forward to Wisconsin for the food, but we do go up there for the opportunity to do other activities, too. We usually fish off of our pontoon boat, kayak, fish some more, take walks, ride bikes, swim swim SWIM, and spend our fair share of time being lazy lounging around the cabin. This afternoon cannot come soon enough for both of us :)