Tuesday, July 22, 2014

taking stock // 02


We're on vacation at the family cabin in the northwoods of Wisconsin. Here's a bit of what we've been up to. 

Making : a little extra time for myself, setting an alarm for 5:30 so I can get in some exersise and coffee before Henry wakes


Cooking : everything on the grill


Drinking : good, strong coffee from a big mug on the balcony overlooking the lake.

 
Reading: and loving The Paris Wife by Paula McLain 


Wanting: another ice cream cone 


Looking: at the lake through the cabin's big picture window every chance I get 


Playing: a game of war with Chris while Henry is distracted


Wishing: vacations lasted longer


Enjoying: the one on one time spent with my husband. It's so very rare that we are alone as a family of 3 back home. 


Liking: where I'm at, both in life and geographicly 


Wondering: about the vistors of the past that built the many grand old vacation homes and cabins on this lake. Thinking of all the fun that was to be had for so many families over the course of the past 100 or so years. 

Loving: how Henry nuzzles up in the crook of my neck and dozes to sleep when we take our evening ride in the boat around the lake, the sound of the motor and the gentle rocking of the boat lulling him to sleep. 

Needing: to line up a new book to read because I'm devouring the one I have. 


Smelling: the sweet perfume of fresh peaches from the local farmer's market


Wearing: my swimsuit under every outfit..(one never knows when a prime swimming opportunity will arise)


Noticing: the delicate hue of plum the lake turns as the sun lowers and says goodnight


Knowing: that these are the "good old days" that our future selves will glance back at and revel in. 


Feeling: new and fresh and so totally alive in every cell of my body everytime I leap into the brisk waters of the lake. Remarkably so.


Opening: all the windows and doors to let the cool air filter into the cabin through the screens. Air that smells of pine and damp earth and campfire. 


Giggling: along with Henry as he chatters his teeth between blue lips, splashing and blowing bubbles in the waters of the lake as he clings to his daddy's neck. 


Feeling: grateful for this retreat and the freshness it has brought to our summer. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

shoot me a line or two