Wednesday, January 18, 2012

sick as a dog




            When I was little and had a cold, my grandpa would always ask me in his funny grandpa voice, "Are you sick as a dog? Maybe you are sick like 2 dogs!" I would always giggle and exaggerate saying something like, "No grandpa, I'm sick like 7 dogs!" He would go along with it and say things like "GEEZE! We'd better get some medicine in you!" Although I've never understood where that phrase comes from, my best guess is that it came from the days when sickly strays wandered the South Dakota countryside when my grandpa was a young child. If I was using grandpa's terminology, I can honestly say that both Chris and myself have been sick like 2 dogs for the past 4 days.

           As I mentioned on Sunday, Chris was not feeling the best. He had a terrible sore throat and congestion. On Sunday, I had a little bit of throat irritation, but other than that, I was fit as a fiddle.. On Monday, Chris was all achy-and-painy and getting the chills and sweats. I still thought I was in the clear. About an hour or two after we woke up, I was in the same boat. Although it would be nice to have a healthy spouse to take care of me, I'd rather be sick together than suffering alone. We spent the past 2 days laying on the living room carpet bundled up in as many blankets as we could find, popping Dayquil like it was candy. By 7pm on Monday night, I had broken down and called my dad crying because I was in so much achy pain and begged him to bring us more medicine. He had just gotten home but drove the 25 or so miles to us with Theraflu and a thermometer...


           Theraflu is worth its weight in GOLD, if you ask me. I took some Monday night before bed and the aches went away. We've been taking it ever since but for the most part the pain of the flu has subsided. Here's to hoping that tomorrow will be a good day for both of us.

6 comments:

  1. Poor thing :( Hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the well wishes, Karissa! We definitly needed them. Feeling almost back to normal now. Have a great rest of your Saturday

      Delete
  2. aww being sick is the worst... hope you guys are feeling better soon!

    p.s. love that wedding picture on the right side of your blog, gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine! We are feeling quite a bit better now. And thanks for the wedding picture compliment. Its my favorite one :)

      Delete
  3. I somehow got to this blog and I already think it's adorable!! New follower!!

    ivy-lauren.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comment love AND for following :) Now that we are back to feeling 100% I promise there will be new posts on their way

    ReplyDelete

shoot me a line or two